Saturday, July 25, 2009

Lora's Life Beyond Etsy

So what does a busy mom of four do in her free time? Oh, wait, what free time? Welcome to our 4th and final installment of our interview with Lora, Mrs. EagerHands.


Do you take time away for yourself? If so, what do you do (other than Etsy!)? My husband is really great about giving me time away by myself. Having time away to be still and quiet is essential for me to keep focused on what my job as a wife and mother is all about! I also love a good date night with my hubby, and I have some amazing friends that live on my street so I enjoy walking down to their houses and visiting with them. I love deep talks and appreciating the little things in life.

Lora's Before Pic

Do you take care of yourself? Do you get enough sleep? I've pretty much been pregnant or nursing for the last six years, so I had let myself get pretty overweight! I started doing Weight Watchers in December and I am happy to report that I've lost almost 55 pounds! (see before and after pictures) I am really trying hard to take better care of myself and eat healthier. Losing all the weight has helped my self-esteem a lot! Not to mention, I have more energy to play with my kiddos! As far as sleep goes, I don't get as much as I probably should, but I try to take naps if all of my kiddos are taking one, too. UPDATE: Lora met her Weight Watchers goal the day I posted this entry. Way to go, Lora!


What closing Etsy Success advice can you leave us with?

1. Try to add new items everyday, or at the very least, renew a few items each day. I think that is really important to maintaining a strong presence on the website.

2. Having great pictures is also essential! If you're having trouble with that, you could ask a friend who's good with cameras. Don't give up - it took me a few years to figure out my camera and get the shots I really wanted!


Vintage Holly Hobbie Friendship Plaque, eagerHands


3. Treat your customers the way you would like to be treated. Go the extra mile with communication and customer service- a thank you email and a hand-written note with pretty packaging make a big difference! If you make a good first impression, chances are, the customer will come back and shop again.

4. The most important piece of advice that I ever got (from a dear Etsy friend and mentor) is that your etsy shop should not be about the money. It should first be about the people and the relationships that are formed through the business. That's what it's all about. I pray that I can somehow use my etsy shop to form meaningful connections with others and show them a little bit about the God that has inspired me to use my eager hands to express His love.

Mother Nature's Gifts Necklace, madebycarashop


If money were no object, what three things would be at the top of your Etsy wish list?
* This beautiful quilt with vintage fabrics from one of my favorite Etsy people!!
* I am a huge fan of Etsy's MadeByCaraShop - I love this shop!! Amazing necklaces..

If money were no object, I would want the original painting of this print. The artist is actually a friend - isn't her work amazing? She uses old hymnbook pages on her pieces. I love this one!


What other Etsy Mom's shop would you like to see featured on this blog?
My sweet etsy friend and inspiration, Mandy from whimsiedots.etsy.com. She is AMAZING, and an incredible role-model and example for me as a wife, mom, and etsy-shop-owner...She has been SUCH an encouragement to me, especially when I was just starting up.

1 comment: